Friends of Marsden Library
Interim Steering Group, 2 September 2015
Action / Agreement Notes
Present: Diane Barkley, Caroline Bolton, Laura Goldman, Jenny Hemming, Natalie Stevenson, Taru Sinclair
|Contact Golcar FOG to see if someone would come and talk at our ‘Next Steps’ meeting about their group.||Natalie|
|Ditto Marianne McNamara/Pete Toon – Mikron – to talk about Mikron Friends.||Natalie|
|Keep an eye on Kirklees website and obtain copy of report when public (~22/9) – are we going to be community managed or community supported?||Diane|
|Draft the agenda for our Next Steps meeting||Taru|
|Look for copy of list of interested parties generated previously||Taru and Natalie|
|See if Sue from Library Services has list of interested parties that Taru gave her||Lorna|
|Set up email address||Jenny|
|Give out email address for expressions of interest etc||All/Lorna when she calls into Library|
|Research activities of other Library Friends Groups||Caroline|
|Ask Bob to design poster/flyer||Taru|
|Check Mechanics Availability for October 5th, 7 – 9||Diane/Natalie|
|Confirm with Sue who will be present from Library and if they can do a two-hander with Diane to scene set||Jenny|
|Inform councillors of workshop but remind them they suggested we might be better off meeting without them, so ask them not to attend on this occasion||Jenny|
|Flyers in School Book Bags||Caroline|
|Posters in Shops|
|Look at existing Library research to pull out list of what Library is currently used for||Jenny|
|Ask Sue if Library Services can print flyers/posters for us and who to contact in her absence||Jenny|
28/9, 7 – 8.30, 2, Sunny Lea (Natalie’s): Interim Steering Group
5/10, 7 – 9, Marsden Mechanics: Next Steps Meeting
?? Interim Steering Group needs to meet in the middle
9/11, time and place tbc: Follow Up to Next Steps
- Purpose of the Next Steps meeting: sharing information/update; gathering ideas; gathering skills and interests; generating community involvement; discussion of Kirklees’ Cabinet decision re Library future (to be taken 22/9); vision of what Library could become. Also cover boundaries – what we’re not going to do.
- Those present 2/9 to act as an interim steering group, to keep things moving until such time as a constitution agreed and officers elected (4 – 6 months envisaged).
- Therefore, we need to introduce ourselves at the Next Steps meeting
- Publicity/invitation needs to make it clear 1. That this is following on from previous meetings and so is different; 2. It’s a community invitation not Kirklees; 3. Any contribution, no matter how small, is of value.
- Ideally, we’ll send out an email invitation first to those who we can identify who have already expressed an interest. Then do facebook, posters, flyers etc.
- ‘Friends of Marsden Library’ includes all supporters, from volunteers to steering group members. You don’t have to take on a big job to be a supporter – just join the discussion and tell your neighbour about the threat to the Library.