We’re all friends here!
Everyone is welcome to ‘join’ the Friends of Marsden Library as a basic member. As a basic members, you will receive a regular e-newsletter updating you on what we have been doing and promoting events and other opportunities to get involved, such as one-off volunteering events.
At the moment (February 2016) you can become a friend simply by signing up to our mailing list. We may need to have a more formal ‘joining’ process when we have finalised our governance arrangements – this would cover things like being entitled to vote at the AGM to elect members of the Steering Group, etc.
Friends of Marsden Library Steering Group
The Steering Group is a committee that meets monthly to run Friends of Marsden Library activities. It maintains the website, Facebook page, and Twitter page, and works in partnership with the Library to promote library events. If you are interested in becoming a member of the Steering Group please contact us or come along to one of our meetings. We generally meet on the third Monday of the month, 6.45 – 8.15 in the Meeting Room, Marsden Mechanics, but it is best to check the events calendar for the details of the next meeting as it may be necessary to vary from this schedule.
Volunteering in the Library
Volunteers are vital to keeping the library open. Volunteering is fun, is a vital contribution, and can offer valuable work-place experience. Volunteers are already:
- helping customers with self-issue
- helping customers get online
- serving tea and coffee and washing up
- returning books to shelves
- moving furniture for events
- organising events
- helping customers with family and local history
- telling stories
- helping with craft activities
You may have other ideas on ways to help too!
The library can offer you
- a chance to meet new people
- relevant training to learn new skills and enhance your current skills
- experience of working with different age groups
- an opportunity to extend your knowledge of your local area and develop skills to share that knowledge
- A sense of pride and satisfaction from helping others in your local community
Hit the button to send us an email and let us know you’d like to volunteer in the Library. We will add you to our mailing list (you can opt out of this at any time) and put you in touch with Marsden Library. The library will contact you to tell you about next steps including:
- completing a short application form and meeting with the Customer Services Manager to discuss your skills and suitability for volunteer activities
- completion of a DBS Check for any volunteer roles that may involve working with children or vulnerable adults (this will depend on the role and location)
- providing two references (these don’t have to be a previous employer)
- signing a Volunteer Agreement Form and undertaking training
What does the volunteer training involve?
Volunteers will be invited to an induction session and the training they receive will depend on the role they choose. Volunteers supporting with frontline enquiries will be required to attend a number of classroom based training sessions (mostly based in the library) followed by a period of time shadowing existing staff.
Is it possible to ‘job-share’ as a volunteer? (e.g. 2 people agree to cover one session between them).
Yes. This may be a good way for people who have other responsibilities, (e.g childcare) that make it difficult to commit on a weekly basis but could perhaps manage every other week with a friend covering the alternate sessions. Please speak to the library to discuss this option.